I am definitely a morning person and love starting the day off with a good work out! My husband and I have a routine where we wake up every morning (Monday- Friday) before work at 5:00AM to go to the GYM. Yes…I said it, 5 o’clock in the morning our alarm clock goes off.
I wasn’t always a morning worker outer but over the years I have really learned to love getting out of bed to work out. Now, don’t get me wrong I like my sleep too but let me tell you a little bit about why I wake up so early to get a good sweat on.
1. Priorities- Working out, staying in shape and being fit are very important to me along with many other things. In order to accomplish all my goals in a day I need to make working out a priority. Just like all important things in your life, you need to give them value and commit to them.
2. Time Management- Just like many of you, I am crazy busy. I have a job, have a husband, have a dog, volunteer, play co-ed sports, have friends and family. There is so much going on in my life after work that it is something difficult to fit in exercise. And I refuse to become one of those people who say, “I don’t have time to work out.” The only thing worst than working out is NOT working out. With that said, morning workouts have become part of my routine and it works best for my schedule to get it in right away.
3. Empty Stomach- I hate working out on a full stomach. There have been times where I would eat a full meal or a few sweets and then go for a run. That is no good. In the mornings I feel refreshed and don’t have to worry about bouncing around with a full tummy. I am not recommending you work out on a hungry stomach. Sometimes I find it best to eat a small 100-200 calorie snack. Something that gives you a little extra punch.
4. Fabulous Endorphins- I always come back from a run or from the gym really happy and motivated to start my day. Sometimes before work I have gotten an hour work out in, two loads of laundry, dinner in the crock pot and the bed made all by 8 in the morning. That is more than some people accomplish in 8 hours!
5. Get it Done!- Sometimes I just don’t feel like working and I hate nothing more than procrastinating. So, instead of putting off my workout, I get it done right away and just do it. Being a couple with no kids (yet) we do a lot of sporadic things- dinner dates, shopping trips, family visits. Sometimes I never know what the evenings will bring. I don’t have to worry about not being able to go out with friends after work because ” I have to work out.” My workout is done in the morning and I am free as a bird to have an unplanned evening.
Instead of wasting another hour of my day and hitting the snooze button- I eliminate that button from my brain and start my day. I trained my mind to think, “when that alarm clock buzzes it is time to get up.
Make time for exercise whether it is in the morning, afternoon or evening. Make it a priority and you will definitely notice a difference in your attitude, health and time management skills.
Remember- The only thing worst than working out is NOT WORKING OUT.