Today was just not my day for running.
This morning I set out on a 12 mile run with a friend. The sun was out and the weather was perfect- high 40s/low 50s. It was a perfect Sunday to go for a run outside.
I guess no one told my body. The first half of the run was good. I was feeling okay and we were keeping a good pace- 8:30s. The second half of the run and the hills were a little bit harder. My head was in the game and so were my legs but my stomach and butt muscles were on the bench.
I was a little more sore from my Saturday work out than I thought. My glutes were burning from the start which made the run a little tougher. Must have been the one legged squats yesterday that caused all the soreness in my butt. Thank you Life Time Fitness
My stomach also has been a little “weird” this weekend. Not sure why. Maybe I was dehydrated. Sometimes these weird little annoyances come up and they make workouts a little more challenging. You just have to work through them. No pain, no gain…right?
The good news is I finished our 12 mile run and survived…I always do.
So What Got me Through it-
- A Good Friend- Having a running buddy always makes it better.
- Mind Over Matter- I have ran 26.2 miles before, I think I can finish 12.
- Pure Determination- I just wanted to finish.
- Being Greatful- There are some people out there who physically can’t run and I am lucky to be strong and healthy.
- I Stuck with my Plan- I told myself I was going to run 12 miles today and I did!
Now to the Yummy Part- Post Run Fuel
My new favorite food combination is plain Greek Yogurt and peanut butter. It sounds a little weird but trust me, it’s delicious!
It is super easy and filled with good protein.
All You Need:
- One Whole Wheat Medium Tortilla
- 1/2 a Banana
- A Handful of Plain Almonds
- A Huge Spoonful of Greek Yogurt
- A Big Spoonful of Peanut Butter
I recommend spreading the peanut butter on the wheat wrap first and then the Greek Yogurt. I did it the opposite way and It was a little difficult. Slice your banana and sprinkle the slices and almonds on the wrap. Fold everything together and in 1 minute you have the perfect snack!
Cheers to Hard Runs and Peanut Butter/Greek Yogurt Treats!